Written by Yuan Fang (Constance)
Description: An article about a beautiful Kiwi woman called Kiri Te Kana
Instructions: Read the article below and answer the questions or fill in the spaces
Kiri Te Kanawa is a New Zealand soprano who has gained considerable worldwide
reputation since 1968. In addition to being a singer, she is active in contributing to society. Featuring her unique voice, Kiri Te Kanawa was among the world’s best operatic sopranos during the 1970s and 1980s. She was given a position in the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame in June 2009.
As to her contributions to society, she sold her position as an Officer of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for £500 and gave the money to the Mitchum Amateur Boxing Association. She also founded a website called ‘The Kiri Te Kanawa Foundation’ to assist young New Zealanders who wanted a career in music, providing them with financial support.
1: operatic = related to opera
2: a soprano = a singer who can sing a song with a high pitch
3: amateur = doing something not as major career or major job; not professional
4: to advocate = to support
5: a division = a department
0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. A soprano is a singer who sings with a high pitch.CorrectIncorrect
2. Kiri Te Kanawa gained her considerable worldwide reputation from ……………CorrectIncorrect
3. Kiri Te Kanawa was given a position in the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame in ………………… 2009.CorrectIncorrect
4. Opera is like a medical operation.CorrectIncorrect
5. Her husband founded a website called the Mitchum Amateur Boxing Association for her.CorrectIncorrect
6. She was a pop music singer.CorrectIncorrect
7. She helped to provide ……………… help to young New Zealanders who love music.CorrectIncorrect
8. Kiri Te Kanawa is a ……………… soprano.CorrectIncorrect
9. She sold her position as an Officer of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for £500 and gave the money to the ………………CorrectIncorrect
10. A division refers to a department.CorrectIncorrect