Written by Saurav
Description: An article about a migraine (i.e. a type of headache)
Instructions: Read the sentences below and answer the questions or fill in the spaces
A migraine is a chronic neurological disorder with recurring moderate to severe headaches. If you ask a migraine sufferer, he or she will tell you that migraine pains are debilitating and he would not wish anyone else to have it. Getting a migraine is unpleasant and it can deprive people from doing things they love to do at school, work or at play. Not all migraines are the same as the severity of the pain, frequency of attacks and duration of headaches vary in each individual. It has been reported that migraines are closely linked to lost productivity and absenteeism in the workplace or school.
No one knows why some people suffer from migraines. Some migraines can be genetic. For example, if a person has one parent who suffers from migraines, he is likely to have it. Some people get their migraines when they enter puberty while some get it when they reach adulthood. Migraines can be triggered by stress, hormonal changes and lack of sleep. Some foods and chemicals can trigger a migraine such as cheese, wine, coffee, soft drinks and preservatives. Monosodium glutamate, commonly used in restaurants and takeaways, can ruin a migraine sufferer’s good time after a meal. The signs and symptoms of a migraine other than severe headaches are nausea, increased photophobia and increased phonophobia.
There is no cure for migraine and sufferers live with it for the rest of their lives. However, with proper management and some lifestyle changes, a migraine does not have to be a lifelong, unbearable condition. Stress management is essential in helping migraine sufferers to deal with stress at work, home and school. Plenty of rest and relaxation are important for migraine sufferers. Preventive migraine medications are helpful in reducing the severity and frequency of migraine attacks. However, care must be taken when taking migraine medications in order to avoid medication overuse which can be counterproductive in reducing migraines. Avoiding food and chemicals that trigger migraines may be daunting to some sufferers but it is done for the best of their health.
If you or someone you know may be suffering from frequent and painful headache attacks, it is best to consult a medical professional. Migraines do not have to be a painful condition to live with until it deprives the person from enjoying life to the fullest whether at work, school or play.
1. neurological – relating to nerves and the nervous system
2. a disorder – a problem that affects the body
3. unpleasant – something that is extremely bad to feel or experience
4. to deprive – to stop someone from doing something
5. puberty – the process of physical changes a child’s body experiences as he or she enters into adulthood
6. preservatives – chemicals used for making food last longer or taste very nice
7. monosodium glutamate – a kind of chemical used in cooking for enhancing the flavour of food
8. photophobia – sensitivity to light
9. phonophobia – sensitivity to sounds or noise
10. preventive – something used to make a problem less serious
11. counterproductive – to make something worse than to make it better or stop or a problem
12. daunting – something that is extremely difficult but needs to be done
0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. A migraine is a chronic neurological disorder with ………….. moderate to severe headaches. If you ask a migraine sufferer, he or she will tell you that migraine pains are ………….. and he or she would not wish anyone else to have it.CorrectIncorrect
2. It has been reported that migraines are closely linked to lost productivity and absenteeism in the workplace or school.CorrectIncorrect
3. What does the word ‘absenteeism’ mean?CorrectIncorrect
4. Some migraines can be …………..CorrectIncorrect
5. What does the word ‘genetic’ mean?CorrectIncorrect
6. Migraines can be ………….. by stress, hormonal changes and lack of sleep.CorrectIncorrect
7. Some foods and chemicals can trigger a migraine such as cheese, wine, coffee, soft drinks and …………..CorrectIncorrect
8. With proper management and some lifestyle changes, a migraine does not have to be a lifelong, unbearable condition.CorrectIncorrect
9. ………….. migraine medications are helpful in reducing the severity and frequency of migraine attacks.CorrectIncorrect
10. If you or someone you know may be suffering from frequent and painful headache attacks, it is best not to consult a medical professional.CorrectIncorrect