Written By: Debbie
Description: An article about the human lungs
Instructions: Read the article below and answer the questions or fill in the spaces
The lungs form a major part of the respiratory system. Every cell in the body needs oxygen for metabolic activities and the body also needs to get rid of carbon dioxide which are the end or biproducts of the cycles. The lungs are designed to exchange the gases every time we breathe in and out.
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest or thorax. Each lung is surrounded by a pleural cavity which is formed by visceral and parietal pleura. The lungs are roughly in the shape of a cone and they are comprised of an apex, base, surface, and border. The left lung is slightly smaller than the right lung owing to the presence of the heart.
The lungs are covered by a thin layer of tissue known as the pleura. This acts as a lubricant which allows the lungs to contract and exp and smoothly.
The right lung has three lobes- superior, middle, and inferior and they are divided by two fissures. The left lung has 2 lobes only- the superior and the inferior.
The lungs are supplied with deoxygenated blood by the pulmonary arteries. Once the blood receives oxygen, it leaves the lungs via the pulmonary veins.
0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. The lungs are ……….. to exchange the gases every time we breathe in and out.CorrectIncorrect
2. What does the word ‘to exchange’ mean?CorrectIncorrect
3. A synonym for ‘comprises of’ is ……………..CorrectIncorrect
4. The lungs are covered by a thin layer of tissue known as the pleura.CorrectIncorrect
5. The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs ……… on either side of the chest or thorax.CorrectIncorrect
6. The right lung has two lobes: superior and middle.CorrectIncorrect
7. Pleura acts as a lubricant which ………. the lungs to contract and expand smoothly.CorrectIncorrect
8. The lungs are not in the shape of a cone.CorrectIncorrect
9. The left lung is slightly smaller than the right lung owing to the presence of the heart.CorrectIncorrect
10. The lungs are not supplied with deoxygenated blood by the pulmonary arteries.CorrectIncorrect